Updated: Saturday, November 10
Watch it Live on the Web for Free! "Operation Enduring Freedom" Starts Monday, 9 a.m. Eastern. -- click here for the live webcast from the National Press Club -- (56k RealMedia)
"Operation Enduring Patriotism"
DRAFT -- STATE STATUTE FOR ENDURING PATRIOTISM -- DRAFT
"An Act for Enduring Patriotism"
We the People of the state of______________, in order to reaffirm our commitment to the principles of government set forth in America’s founding documents, The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution of The United States of America, and the constitution of the state of ______________, do hereby enact this Statute for Enduring Patriotism.
By this Statute, we acknowledge and hold that all government power derives from the consent of the people, and we do further acknowledge and accept our eternal duty to protect, preserve and defend the enduring principles of equality, justice and liberty upon which our Nation and our state were conceived.
We do herein establish a legislative mandate to ensure that every child educated in the state of _________ receives competent and thorough instruction in the founding documents of America and in our state constitution. It being our firm intent that all children educated in this state understand America’s constitutional form of government and appreciate their unalienable rights and responsibilities to preserve the blessings of individual liberty for future generations.
We thus affirm the following provisions of the Statute for Enduring Patriotism:
S_____. Courses of Instruction in Patriotism, Citizenship and in Certain Historic
1. In order to promote a spirit of patriotism and civic service, and to foster in the children of this state moral and intellectual qualities which are essential in preparing them to meet the obligations of citizenship in peace or in war, the (Board of Regents?) of the state of ______________ shall prescribe courses of instruction in patriotism, citizenship, and the origin and purpose of the historic founding documents of our country and state to be maintained and followed in all the schools of the state.
The boards of education, trustees, elected and appointed leadership of every education district of this state, shall require instruction to be given in such courses by the teachers employed in the schools therein. All students eight years of age or older, and/or in the third grade or higher attending the public schools of this state shall be required to receive such instruction. The period of such instruction will commence in grade three and continue each year through grade twelve.
Similar courses of instruction shall be prescribed and maintained in the private schools of this state, and all students eight years of age or older, and/or in the third grade or higher attending such private schools shall be required to receive such instruction.
2. The (Board of Regents?) shall prescribe courses of instruction in the history, meaning, significance and effect of the provisions of the Constitution of the United States Of America, the amendments thereto, the Declaration of Independence, the constitution of the state of ______________ and the amendments thereto, to be maintained and followed in all of the schools of the state. The boards of education, trustees, elected and appointed leadership of every education district of this state shall require compliance with the provisions of this Act, and ensure that measures are instituted to establish uniform standards for relevant instruction in all public and private schools, in each grade three through twelve.
3. The (Board of Regents?) shall determine the subjects to be included in such courses of instruction in patriotism, citizenship, and in the history, meaning, significance and effect of the provisions of the Constitution of the United States of America, the amendments thereto, the Declaration of Independence, the constitution of the state of _______________ and the amendments thereto, and the extent and schedule of such instruction at each grade level. They shall adopt rules providing for attendance upon such instruction and for such other matters as are required for carrying into effect the objects and purposes of this section. The state (commissioner or secretary?) of education shall be responsible for the enforcement of such section and shall ensure that all classroom instruction and related program materials meet the highest quality standards for educational professionalism and historical accuracy.
The (commissioner or secretary?) of education may, in his/her discretion, cause all or a portion of the public education funds designated or apportioned for any education district to be withheld for failure of the school authorities of such district to provide instruction in such courses and to require attendance upon such instruction, as herein prescribed, or for non-compliance with the requirements of this Act as herein adopted.
4. The (Board of Regents?) shall designate one week during each school year from grades three through twelve inclusive, and prescribe for that year a uniform course of instruction in enduring patriotism to be administered in every public school of the state. Such instruction shall be suitable for students of various ages, and designed to teach the young people of this country and state the purpose, meaning and importance of the Constitution of the United States of America, the amendments thereto including the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence, the constitution of the state of _______________, and amendments thereto. Such instruction shall be in addition to any prescribed courses of related study in the schools.
S_______. Instruction in Civility, Citizenship and Personal Character.
The (Board of Regents?) shall ensure that the course of instruction in grades kindergarten through twelve also includes a component on civility, citizenship and personal character. Such component shall instruct students on the principles of honesty, tolerance, personal responsibility, respect for others, observance of laws and rules, courtesy, dignity and other traits which will enhance the quality of their experiences in, and contributions to, the community. The (Board of Regents?) will determine how to incorporate such component of instruction into existing curricula and the (commissioner of secretary?) shall promulgate any regulations needed to carry out such determination of the regents.
S______. Instruction relating to the flag of the United States and National Holidays.
1. It shall be the duty of the (commissioner or secretary?) to prepare, for the use of the public schools of the state, a program providing for a salute to the flag and a daily pledge of allegiance to the flag. Instruction in the correct use and display of the flag shall include, as a minimum, specific instruction regarding respect for the flag of the United States of America, its use and display as provided by federal statute and regulation. Such instruction shall include, as a minimum, the provisions of sections one hundred seventy through one hundred seventy-seven of title thirty-six of the United States Code.
2. It also shall be the duty of the (commissioner or secretary?) to make special provision for the observance in the public schools of the Fourth of July, Lincoln`s birthday, Washington`s birthday, Memorial day and Flag day, and such other legal holidays of like character as may be hereafter designated by law when the legislature makes such an appropriation.